Chicken curry is a regular item in many Sri Lankan meals. To get the rich curry flavour, several curry powders are used. Among these, chicken curry powder is a key ingredient for that authentic Sri Lankan taste.
- Coriander seeds – 4 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Black pepper corns – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom – 3 pods
- Cloves – 3 pods
- Cinnamon sticks – 1 inch piece
- Star anise – 1/2
- Dry roast coriander, fennel seeds and cumin seeds until golden brown and fragrant. Use low heat, keep stirring and don’t let it burn.
- Remove to a plate and let the mix cool.
- Dry roast cardomom, cloves, black pepper corns, cinnamon and star anise until slightly brown and fragrant.
- After the mix cools, put all ingredients in a grinder and grind into a fine powder. The heat generated while grinding roasts the mix further. While grinding, open the lid periodically to let the steam escape.
- Sift to filter any ungrounded pieces and repeat until all the ingredients are ground into a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container.