The traditional chilli paste of Sri Lanka is called “lunumiris” which literally means salt and chilli even though there are many other ingredients in the recepie. Lunumiris usually complements traditional Sri Lankan dishes such as milk rice (kiribath), hoppers (appa) or pittu.
- Small onion – 1 roughly chopped
- Chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chilli flakes (red) – 1 teaspoon
- Chinese chilli paste (optional) – 1 tablespoon (recepie found here)
- Dried smoked tuna flakes or Maldive fish flakes – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Use a mortar and pestle to roughly grind all the ingredients until the onions are smashed. You can use a grinder, chopper or food processor if you don’t have a mortar and pestle.
- Add salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Mix well and serve.