Wraps are a close competitor to sandwiches with their light pita or tortillas hiding grilled meat, vegetables, hummus and other tasty seasoning. Known around the world as Turkish kebabs, doner kababs and dönertasche (meat pockets), shawarma would be the menu item you would see on many a food cart in North America. Even the Avengers had shawarma after defeating Loki.
- Chicken thighs – 6 boneless and skinless
- Paprika – 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon ground
- Black pepper – 1/2 teaspoon ground
- Red chilli flakes – 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1/2 cup
- Garlic – 4 cloves minced
- Lemon juice – 1 lemon
- Onion – 1 large sliced
- Tomatoes, cucumber and bell peppers – julienned as needed
- Hummus – as needed (store bought)
- Mayonnaise – as needed (store bought)
- Tortillas (or pita bread) – according to preference (store bought)
- In a large bowl, mix paprika, cinnamon, black pepper, salt, chilli flakes, turmeric, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add chicken and mix until all the pieces are evenly coated with the spice mix.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least one hour (best if marinated overnight).
- Add onions and mix until the onions are coated with the marinade.
- Arrange chicken in a baking tray with the marinade and onions.
- Preheat the oven to 425F or 220C. Bake the chicken for 35-40 minutes.
- Rest the chicken for five minutes and slice into strips.
- Spread hummus evenly on the tortillas.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper and chicken according to preference. Drizzle with mayonnaise.
- Roll into wraps. And grill on a panini press, bbq or pan.
- Serve with ketchup on the side.
- Works very well as a light brunch or with afternoon tea.