Bitter Gourd is all the rage now since it has been identified as a “super food” which can lower blood sugars while preventing cancer. However, it has been used in ayurveda for hundreds, if not thousands, of years as a refreshing side dish which helps maintain good health. On the downside, bitter gourd is a naurally bitter vegetable. As such it needs to be combined with oil for pleasant consumption (the bitterness is mostly in the seeds). This recipe addresses the bitterness and can be consumed on its own as a healthy salad.
- Bitter Gourd – 2 deseeded and thinly sliced
- Tomatoes – 1 big red sliced
- Red onion – 1/2 small sliced
- Green chilies – 1 sliced
- Smoked and dried tuna flakes – 1/2 teaspoon (or fish sauce optional)
- Salt, pepper and lemon juice – to taste
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Vegetable oil – for deep frying
- Sprinkle the bitter gourd with turmeric and salt. Mix until well coated.Deep fry until golden brown and dry on a paper towel.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients in a glass bowl.
- Add the fried bitter gourd.
- Adjust salt, pepper and lemon juice according to taste.Serve as a salad or as a side dish with rice and curry.