Mung beans or green gram is a popular food in many Asian countries including Sri Lanka. Packed with a lot of vitamins and nutrients, green gram is an excellent breakfast cereal for the whole family. Mung kiribath, also known as mungata kiribath or green gram milk rice, is a traditional Sri Lankan brakfast similar to milk rice. Eaten with traditional Sri Lankan chilli paste, mung kiribath is a healthy meal for an active lifestyle.
- White or brown rice – 1 1/2 cups
- Green gram (mung dhal – 1 cup soaked overnight
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Cook rice and green gram with 4 1/2 cups of water and salt on the stove or in a rice cooker.
- When the rice and green gram are tender with about 1/2 cup of water remaining, add the coconut milk.
- Stir until the mixture thickens and the rice is fully cooked.
- Pour the rice onto a plate or platter and spread it evenly.
- Let the rice cool to room temperature.
- Cut the rice into large squares using a knife.
- Serve with traditional Sri Lankan chilli paste (lunumiris).