Sri Lanka is an island and naturally full of excellent seafood. By far one of the most favourite appetizers is the spicy devilled tiger prawns which are stir-fried on high heat with onions, banana peppers and chilli flakes. This HOT dish has sweet and sour notes to it which makes it heavenly on a warm day paired with a cold beer.
- 500g of large tiger prawns legs cutoff, washed and cleaned with shell
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 1 large onion cut into wedges
- 2 banana peppers sliced diagonally
- 1 large tomato cut into wedges
- 2 spring onions cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoons of Chinese chilli paste (recipe found here)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Season the prawns with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large wok.
- Fry the prawns until slightly golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same oil, stir-fry the garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add the onions and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the banana peppers and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the chilli paste, sugar, soy sauce and ketchup. Mix well.
- Add the prawns and tomatoes. Mix until all prawns are well coated.
- Add spring onions and serve hot.