When biriani is too spicy and common, this dish would be the perfect compromise between eastern spicy and western herb rice. With a mediterranean flavor, this dish reminds you of sunny lunches by the beach paired with cold beer. Rich in flavor, a side of salty seafood such as baby shrimp stirfry will complete the dish and leave you full.
- 2 cups of long grain basmati rice soaked for 20 minutes
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 cloves of of garlic minced
- 100g of mushrooms roughly chopped
- 100g of bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups of hot water
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350f or 180c.
- In a mixing bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil, thyme, oregano, paprika, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Add the chicken. Coat the chicken evenly and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- To a large baking dish, add the remaining olive oil, chopped onions, 4 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, 2 cups of chicken stock and 1 1/2 cups of water. Mix well.
- Add the rice. Mix well.
- Ensure that the rice is at the bottom and chicken on top.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Rest the dish for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan, sautee the remaining garlic until fragrant. Add mushrooms and bell pepper. Cook until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the mix to the rice and chicken.
- Mix well and garnish with chopped parsley.