Wade or Vada are popular snacks in Sri Lanka. They are a staple during the multiple tea breaks Sri Lankans take during a working day. There are two main varieties of wade which are ulundu or dhal. The ulundu wade are soft while the dhal wade are crunchy. This vegetarian snack goes down extremely well at any party.
- 300g of channa dhal (large grain)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 30 curry leaves chopped
- 4 green chillies chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons of red chili flakes
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Wash and rince the dhal. Soak for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- In a food processor, coarsely grind the dhal until it can be made into a pattie.
- Mix all ingredients (except oil) into the dhal.
- Make the mix into small patties (300g of dhal makes around 12).
- Heat the oil and deep-fry the patties until golden.
- Deep fry until golden brown once more before serving.